Fix up furniture that has seen better days using Jute Webbing. Functioning in the maintenance and repair of upholstery, Jute is a natural and durable material that is safe for home use.
All you will need is:
- RisingHippo Jute Webbing
- Staple gun
- Upholstery Fabric of your choice
- Optional: Webbing Tool (seen in the image below)
- Remove the old fabric covering, padding, and jute webbing. Keep the fabric padding if it is still in good condition however, if it is not you will need a new piece of fabric padding.
- Fold a small piece of the jute under itself and staple this to the seat frame. Stretch the Webbing over the frame to the other side.
- If you have a webbing tool use it to ensure the webbing is as tightly pulled as possible. If not, don’t worry, just pull the webbing as tightly as you can across the frame. Staple the Jute on the other side, tucking the end underneath itself like in step 2.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for parallel webbing strips until the frame is full, space the webbing rows about ½ inch apart.
- Next repeat these steps for the perpendicular webbing rows however, you must weave these remaining webbing rows through the ones already placed.
- Take the upholstery fabric and cut it to the appropriate size. The fabric should cover the cushion completely and have approximately 1 inch of excess. Next staple the fabric under the cushion, ensuring it is neatly tucked so that the seat side looks smooth.
- Place your cushion onto the chair frame and secure it in the appropriate method, which is the method by which it was initially secured.
A similar method can also be used on couches as well, although slightly more difficult and we recommend having a friend help you out.
- Remove all unattached pillows, cushions, and blankets on the couch.
- Tip the couch backward, then remove the dust cover. You will most likely need a staple puller to aid in this step. Set the dust cover aside.
- Like the upholstered chair steps, apply the Jute Webbing stripping in a basketweave formation. It is recommended to use strong upholstery tacks to ensure the Webbing remains in place.
- Replace the dust cover and staple it into place using a staple gun.